Mid-range Mercury diesels arriving next year
New 6.7 litre mid-range engines available for inboards or pod drives.
Engine manufacturer Mercury has announced that its new 6.7 litre mid-range diesel engines are due to arrive in Australia in early 2018.
Unveiled at the 2017 Miami International Boat Show, the new engines are due to go into production soon. They will be available in three power levels - 480hp, 500hp and 550hp – and can be used as inboards or packaged with the Mercury Zeus pod-drive technology.
The engines feature a turbocharger design coupled with electronic common-rail fuel injection technology and a Bosch EDC17 engine control system. They will be fully compatible with Mercury’s suite of SmartCraft controls and electronics, including joystick piloting for inboards and pods.
“This is the first opportunity to provide our fully-integrated ecosystem of technology and ease of boating features to our mid-range diesel customer,” said David Foulkes, Brunswick Corporation’s vice president and chief technology officer and Mercury Marine vice president – product development, engineering and racing.
The new engines will be assembled at FPT Industrial’s dedicated marine engine plant.
“Our strategic partnership with Mercury Marine, initiated in 2015, emphasises the FPT Industrial technological leadership by providing our customers with best in class product and service, bolstering FPT Industrial’s competitiveness in the marine engine business,” said Massimo Rubatto, FPT Industrial vice president sales.
- L6 Ladder frame design
- Grey Iron, high strength block and heads
- Fracture split connecting rods
- Rear gear train timing system
- Functional engine layout
- Equipped with oil evacuation system
- Self-draining oil filter for clean filter changes
- Pistons oil cooled by J-jets
- Custom, engine mounted Racor priming pump
- Bosch CP3.3 high pressure pump
- CRIN 2 fuel injectors
- Four-micron filter protecting the system
- Bosch EDC17 controller, isolated mounted to ensure durability
- Walker filter/silencer included for noise reduction
- Single turbo
- Waste gated
- Closed cooled
- Thermostatically controlled
- Closed cooled engine for corrosion protection
- Seawater cooled charge air cooler
- Standard cabin heater connections
- Closed cooled manifold
- Closed cooled turbocharger
- Seawater cooled riser
- Either 12V or 24V
- High output alternator (12V = 90 Amp; 24V = 70 Amp)