Innovation winners announced at IBEX
Florida trade show chooses most innovative marine products for 2017.
The International Boat Builders' Exhibition & Conference (IBEX) in Florida has presented its 2017 Innovation Awards across 10 categories of marine products.The awards are presented annually and selected by a panel of industry journalists and writers.
In the hotly-contested outboards category, honours were shared this year between Suzuki and Yamaha for their DF350A and F25C engines respectively, while Evinrude picked up an award in the propulsion parts category for its iDock joystick control. New Zealand-based AIS specialists, Vesper Marine won the award in the safety category for its deckWatch app which allows users to display AIS data on Android smartwatches.
“These awards signify the importance that innovation plays in our industry, and IBEX is honoured to recognise these key innovators and their products that keep the boating industry at the forefront of cutting edge trends," said Anne Dunbar, IBEX show director.
Winners were selected from more than 95 product entries by a panel of judges from Boating Writers International (BWI), a professional organisation for writers, editors, publishers, photographers, broadcasters, and communications professionals in the boating industry.
“This year the entries reflected many of the changing consumer trends and expectations of today's boating lifestyle. Competition reached new levels, and many product innovations were designed for easier user interface," said Alan Wendt, chair of the Innovation Awards and BWI past president.
The 2017 IBEX Innovation Award winners are:
- Boatbuilding methods & materials: CEproof Group, ICOMIA Technical File Generator
- Deck equipment & hardware: Aluna Systems, Light Pole (Honourable Mention: SUREFAS B.V., CAF-COMPO screw-stud)
- Mechanical systems: Seakeeper, Seakeeper 3
- Electrical systems: JL Marine Systems, Power-Pole CHARGE
- Outboard engines - dual winners: Suzuki Motor of America Inc., DF350A and Yamaha Motor Corporation, F25C
- Boatyard and dealer hardware and software: Gemeco Marine Accessories, TDT1000 Transducer Diagnostic Tester
- Propulsion parts, propellers: BRP US Inc., Evinrude iDock (Honourable Mention: PowerTech! Propellers, CushionLok2)
- OEM electronics - dual winners: JL Marine Systems, Power-Pole VISION; Lumitec, Power Line Instruction Technology
- Trailers, parts and trailer accessories: Gatorbak LLC, Premium Clear Bunk Covers
- Safety equipment: Vesper Marine, deckWatch App