B&G gets onboard SailGP's flying cats
F50 catamarans and support boats to use B&G gear for SailGP series.
Sailing electronics manaufactuer, B&G, has been selected as the official technical supplier for the SailGP series set to debut on Sydney Harbour next month.
The company was chosen to supply the SailGP teams with a range of sensors, chartplotters, radars and communication devices. The equipment is designed to enhance the performance of the competing F50 catamarans while also enabling SailGP organisers to calibrate the elements, supervise courses and take safety measures.
The SailGP series will see six national sailing teams competing with identical F50 catamarans capable of speeds exceeding 50 knots. The races will be held in five harbours around the world, starting in Sydney from 15-16 February, culminating with a $1 million winner-takes-all match race.
“Having B&G as a technical supplier of this revolutionary championship is a testament of trust. We are so proud of delivering equipment for the most avid sailors, the racers,” said Alan Davis, product line director, B&G.
B&G equipment to be used at SailGP includes:
- Masthead wind sensor to give wind data and help optimise the performance of the racing boats.
- H5000 system - wind, motion, barometer and temperature sensors to help the principal race officer, support and mark boats calibrate data and supervise the race.
- Zeus3 chartplotter in staff boats.
- HALO24 radar which will provide information on the weather.
- VHF radio communication
- AIS-500 boat identification system
- ZG100 GPS